Currently there are horses of different breeds on the project. From Fresians and Percherons to Nooitgedachts (South African breed) and Boerperde (both South African breed). Some horses are currently take part on the beach trails and the others are freeloading on the farm.
There are also some old horses that can no longer work and they stay on the farm and are used as companions for the horses that are being rehabilitated.
Volunteer work with horses in South Africa. The project was set up in 1998. The main goal of the project is to rescue and rehabilitate abused and neglected horses. The project has 236 acres and smaller paddocks to accommodate social groupings of horses. The project has 236 acres and smaller paddocks to accommodate social groupings of horses. Currently the farm gives a home to horses, donkeys, a few cattle, pigs, ostriches, dogs, cats and numerous other smaller animals and birds. The project has two sites: the Rehabilitation Centre and the Horse Trail side. This last one mentioned funds the Rehabilitation Centre, because the project has no official sponsorship like for example the government. The project organizes different Horse Trails, which volunteers may also be involved with.
The project staff consists of a permanent staff of 3 persons and they work closely with the volunteers. The staff is enthusiastic and enjoys training and working with volunteers from different countries. The language spoken at this project is English.
The project is situated along South Africa’s Eastern Cape on the Indian Ocean, close to the town of East London. The area is described as a little piece of paradise. It’s characterized by sweeping, unspoiled white. There are a lot of things to do in your leisure time. For example: making a game drive in a Private Game Reserve, sailing, surfing, swimming, sun-bathing, volleyball, quad bike riding, etc.
You will be responsible for arranging your own transport to South Africa. Detailed travel information will be given after you’ve booked.
The work is varied and your tasks may include:
- Mixing of feed (sometimes) and preparig food;
- Feeding the horses and refreshing their drinking water (twice a day);
- Visually checking the horses for any problems, lumps and cuts etc.
- Helping with taking care of all the horses and the other animals;
- Working with young horses (depends on your experience);
- Riding of different trails with International tourists (depends on your experience);
You will work 5 days a week, approximately 8 hours a day. You may have two days off each week (preferable during the week as there is a need for you at the project at weekend when the trails are busy).
Volunteers will be accommodated in the volunteerpart of the farm. There are 2 bedrooms and you will normally share the bedroom with one or more volunteers. Facilities like kitchen and bathroom are shared by all occupants.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age for participation is 18 years old, unless accompanied by a parent/care taker;
- Having a passion and love for horses and other animals and be able to communicate in English;
- If you have basics of walk, trot and canter it’s a bonus but it’s not required;
- There are no vaccinations required at this project, but we recommend you to be vaccinated against DTP and Hepatitis A. (For additional vaccines and/or information we advise you to visit your local clinic).
Volunteers are welcome throughout the year with a minimum of 1 week and longer is much appreciated. You are free to choose your own arrival date.
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 640,00|
|2 weeks||€ 1.140,00|
|3 weeks||€ 1.545,00|
|4 weeks||€ 2.025,00|
|every extra week (after 4 weeks)||€ 350,00|
- Information and assistence before deparure
- Free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance), if desired
- 3 meals a day and non alcoholic beverages
- Transport to and from different working venues
- Airport transfer (East-London tot the project site)
- A donation to the project
- Training and supervision
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2019.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Project Horses in South Africa (PDF)