The project location is home of fascinating marine species, including: Bottlenose dolphins, Common dolphins, Orca’s, Southern Right whales, Humpback whales and Bryde’s whales.
Volunteer work with marine species in South-Africa; The project’s values are to create in partnership with the local community. Together they stand for and work on conservation to sustain marine species, in particular whales and dolphins through improved management, research and education. This project gives volunteers a unique chance to work with marine species by combining education, conservation, community development, science, tourism.
The project consists of a permanent staff of 4 persons and works closely with the sister company that has a permanent staff of 12 people. The staff is enthusiastic, friendly and enjoys training and working with volunteers from different countries. The language spoken at this project is.
The project is situated along South Africa’s beautiful and famous Garden route and is characterized by sweeping, unspoiled golden beaches, a dramatic rocky peninsula, intriguing lagoons and estuaries, towering indigenous forests and unpolluted rivers and sea.
There are a lot of things to do in your leisure time. For example: horse back riding, sailing, mountain biking, scuba-diving, surfing, golf playing, hiking and bird-watching, bungee jumping, canopy tours, visiting Monkey land, visiting elephant park, making a game drive, etc.
You will be responsible for arranging your own transport to the project in South Africa. Detailed travel information will be given after your booking.
The work with marine life is varied and your tasks may include:
- Join on the dolphin and whale watching boat trips and a variety of marine life.;
- Humpback-dolpin photo identification The project is currently setting up a long-term monitoring project on humpback dolphins in order to establish trends in abundance. Once the project is established, volunteers will assist in data collection during boat-based surveys;
- Assisting infrequent marine mammal strandings;
- Assisting monitoring seals in estuaries on behaviour for example;
- Volunteers will assist the researchers during bi-weekly dedicated boat-based surveys to monitor the number of Cape fur seals;
- Assisting monitoring seals-sharks interaction
- Beach surveys twice a week
- Maintenance and cleaning of fish tanks and the aquarium;
- Collecting of fish food and fish for the aquarium;
- (Marine)Sampling, tagging, monitoring of fish species;
- Assisting in the tree planting program
- Assisting in local rehabilitation and conservation centers like the penguin shelter;
- Assisting in the bird-ringing program
- Once a week in the local creche
- And a lot more. For all work tasks see the extensive info sheet.
You will work 5 days a week about 8 hours a day. Evenings and weekends are free time and there is a large variety of activities that can be organized for you.
You will live in a house especially for volunteers and will normally share the bedroom with other volunteers. Facilities like kitchen and bathroom are shared by all occupants. Restaurants and a shopping centre are in the surrounding of the house.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age for participation is 18 years;
- Able to communicate in English;
- To have a passion for conservation and to work in the outdoors;
- There are no vaccinations required at this project but we
Volunteers are welcome all year round. You are free to choose your own arrival date, but it is recommended to start on a Monday. Minimum stay is 2 weeks but preferable longer. Participation for 1 week in consultation.
This project is also easy to combine with the project Big cats (GS38GKZA) in South Africa.
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 675,00|
|Every extra week||€ 550,00|
- Information and assistence before departure
- If desired, free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance)
- 3 meals a day
- Activities that form part of the program
- A donation to the project
- Training and supervision
- Transfers during working hours on the program
- Memorial T-shirt and cap
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience!
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2023.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Marine Adventure in South Africa (PDF)