Always had a dream of volunteering in South Africa? Than this project is someting for you! This sanctuary gives a home to a diversaty of big cats like lions, leopards, jackals, caracals and even some non-indigenous tigers.
Volunteering with big cats in South Africa. This project is a sanctuary for lions and big cats. Here they will be protected and prosper for the rest of their lives. One of the Sanctuary’s main purposes is to be an educational platform where we create awareness about conditions big cats face in captivity, and how animal welfare and enrichment play a vital role in giving them the best captive life possible.
The project is a true sanctuary where no cub petting, breeding or trading takes place. The project has a blue print for this. Also they aim to show all breeding facilities in Southern Africa how they can change into sustainable ethical projects.
Guidance will be offered by experienced coördinators that will supervise your daily work. The language spoken at this project is English.
The project is located on a 40-hectares paradise with an amazing 360 degree mountain view. It’s near a small cozy village in the Western Cape of Sout Africa and also only 30 min. away from the ocean. It is ideally positioned for a laid-back getaway.
A lot of things you can do in your leisure time like horse riding, boat cruises, hikes, bird watching, squad tours, great white shark cage diving, etcetera. But also visiting Cape Town with its Table Mountain, Robben Island, Cape Point to mention some.
You are responsible for your own travel to Cape Town, South Africa. Detailed travel information will be given after your booking.
This project will offer you the unique opportunity to be involved behind the scenes of the sanctuary and how to care for its animals – daily tasks can include:
- Caring and getting to know the amazing big cats
- Making implementing enrichment for the big cat’s enjoyment
- Preparation of food (if interested) and watching the exciting feeding
- Cleaning and maintaining enclosures
- Making and maintaining firebreaks
- General farm work – sometimes hard but always vital work
- Testing of fences and walking perimeter
- Assisting with educational visits
In general volunteers will work 5 days per week (about 6/8 hours per day) with weekends being free to explore the surroundings.
Volunteers will be accommodated in the modern, yet cosy home. The house is 5 mintues drive / 20 minutes wal to the sanctuary. You will have a spectacular mountain view. The house consists of 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. There is also a spacious and fully equipped kitchen for everyone to cook. Besides that there is a big living and dining room where everybody can relax, enjoying game or fim nights together. Outside there is a traditional South African braai area and a large garden. While enjoying a peaceful evening outside you may just hear out pride of lion roaring at the sanctuary.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- To be passionate about working with animals
- To feel passionate about nature
- To respect and guarantee the vision and mission of the project
- To be able to show flexibility with regards to tasks and duties
- To be able to work in a team
- To be able to bear responsibility
- To be reliable and trustworthy
- There are no vaccination required for this project. (For advice and the latest information please contact your local physician before leaving your home country).
Volunteers are welcome all year round. The duration of your stay must be 2 weeks or longer. Start dates and end dates are on Saturdays.
This project can easily be combined with the project Marine Adventure (GS21MAZA) in South Africa.
|Period||Price per person|
|2 weeks||€ 1.150,-|
|3 weeks||€ 1.680,-|
|4 weeks||€ 2.100,-|
|6 weeks||€ 2.875,-|
|Every extra week||€ 465,-|
- Information and assistance before departure
- If desired, free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance)
- Pick up upon arrival and drop off at Cape Town airport
- Accommodation in the volunteer house
- 2 meals per day (breakfast and lunch)
- Onsite volunteer coordinator available 24/7
- Weekly shopping trip
- A donation to the project
- Training and supervision
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience!
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2022.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Big Cats in South Africa (PDF)