Africa has a huge diversity of wildlife and ecosystems, but much of this has been destroyed by human encroachment. Hunting and poaching have also played a big role in the diminishing numbers of animals. Basically the only reason why some animals are alive today is because they are protected in private and national game reserves.
This project is a sanctuary for different (orphan)animal species such as wild cats, Duiker, diverse kinds of Squirrels and Galago’s, Ostriches, Owls, Mangoests, Bush babies, Capabaries, Monkeys and many more.
Volunteer work with animals and children in South Africa; Goal of this project is to create conservation of- and care for the animals and their environment. To accomplish this the project educates the local underprivileged children about nature and the role they can play in conservation. Each week 8 underprivileged children are collected from their school (Monday – Friday). The children are all in the 8th group of school and are often in a class of 160 children. The project tries to enforce the corriculum of the school and to adjust their teaching in important subjrcts like respect, the climate, recycling and even safe sex. The orphaned wild animals in the sanctuary provide the basis for inspiring care and compassion. Although a lot of the animals come originally from South Afica, a lot of these children have never seen them. They are afraid and don’t know a lot about animals. The project educates the children and creates within them a compassion for the animals and environment so they will really care about the future of their environment.
The project staff consists of a permanent staff of 9 persons. The staff is enthusiastic and enjoys training and working with volunteers from different countries. The language spoken at this project is English.
The project is situated in a beautiful area in the North East of South-Africa, on an animal reserve that encloses 700 hectares of pristine natural habitat and houses several natural wild animals. In your spare time you can relax at the pool, visit the beautiful nature and make game drives
You will be responsible for arranging your own transport to the project. Detailed travel information will be given after your booking.
The volunteer work with animals and children is varied and your tasks include:
- Active help to the program to educate children about animals and nature
- Other learning activities like team-building and ‘thinking’ games and general educatuion
- The day to day care of animals. These tasks may include:
– Cleaning and disinfecting animal camps and cages
– Providing fresh food and water for the animals
– Checking the health and condition of the animals
– Many animals require extra care (like feeding with a bottle) and sometimes this may involve working during the night
- Help with renovation, building and maintenance:
– Renovating animal camps
– Building new animal camps and enclosures
– Renovating accommodation, painting, general construction and repairs
You will work 5 days a week, about 8 hours a day. Friday afternoon and the weekend are free for volunteers to relax and to visit the surroundings. Every Saturday there is organised a trip to town.
Volunteers will be accommodated on the project in a nice chalet. You will normally share the bedroom with another volunteer. The rooms are equipped with toilets and showers. The excellent meals are prepared by the staff of the project. It’s also possible to relax in the pool.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age for participation is 18 years old, or with a minimum age of 16 years and accompanied by a parent/caregiver
- Having a passion and love for animals and be able to communicate in English
Volunteers are welcome all year round. Start every Saturday. The minimum stay is 1 week and maximum is 12 weeks.
This project can also easily be combined with the project Different monkeys in South Africa.
|Period||Price per person|
|Every extra week||
- Information and assistence before deparure
- If desired, estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance)
- Airport transfer to the project (only on Saterdays)
- Accommodation (including bedding and towels)
- 3 meals a day, tea, coffee, juice
- Laundry service (daily)
- A trip to town each week
- Donation to the project
- Training and support
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience!
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2022.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Animals and children in South Africa (PDF)