This project is a sanctuary for orang-utans, but also for a lot of other different animals like primates such as gibbons and macuaqes, mammels such as sun bears and dear cats, reptiles such as turtles and crocodiles, birds such as eagels and parrots, etcetera
The environment of the orang-utans has decreased dramatically in recent years due to deforestation, mining, forest fires and illigal trade. The Bornean orang-utan is thereby endangered and the Sumatran orang-utan is threatened with extinction.
Volunteer work with orang-utans and wildlife in Indonesia; the main goals of this project is to rescue, rehabilitate, release and translocate animals to a better place. Also acts the project as sanctuary to facilitate the anmals that can not be returned back to the wild.
The project staff consists of animal keepers and a vet. You will work together with the staff and other volunteers present.
This project is located on the beautiful island of Java, not far from the city of Yogyakarta. The project is located in a beautiful and quiet area, where you can experience the stay in a small tropical rainforest.
During your days off you can also make various trips and for example visit the famous Borobudur temple, the Prambanan temple, Merapi volcano, cave tour, Yogyakarta, beaches, etc.
You travel to Jogjakarta, Indonesia on your own. Detailed travel information will be provided after your booking.
The work for the orang-utans and other animals varies and your tasks can be:
- Assisting the animal keepers and vet with the daily tasks like:
– Food preparation;
– Animal feeding;
– Enclusure cleaning;
– Animal enrichment ;
- Veterinary rounds, health check/observation;
- Gardening / working in nature;
- Once a week, helping at a local school (like games, English, etcetera with the children);
- English ‘lessons’ for local community (if interested);
- Once a week, participants will be invited at a local family home for dinner.
You will work 5 days a week and in the weekends you have free time.
There are also internship and group participation options. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers will accommodated in the nice communal volunteer house. You will normally share the room with one other volunteer. Each room has, airconditioning, a private bathroom and a little terrace. There is also a little kitchen and a dining- and recreational area for participants to eat and relax and where you can use WIFI.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum age for participation is 18 years old (or 17 in consultation or younger in consultation and accompanied by a parent/caretaker).
- Communicate in English.
- Have a passion for working with animals.
- Love nature.
- The required vaccines for this project are DTP, hepatitis A and B (Please see the extensive information sheet for the totall medical requirements).
|Periode||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 635,-|
|2 weeks||€ 875,-|
|3 weeks||€ 1.120,-|
|4 weeks||€ 1.365,-|
|every extra week||€ 245,-|
- Information and assistence before departure
- If desired, free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance)
- Transfer Yogyakarta airport – project site (retour)
- 3 meals a day (and snacks) including drinking water
- Training and supervision
- Working equipment
- Donation to the project
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience!
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2019.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Orang-utans and wildlife in Indonesia (PDF)