This project protects and takes care for many different animals. Currently there are more than 300 animals living at the project including orangutans, sun bears, pig tailed macaques, Siamang, gibbons, Sumatran gibbons, long tailed macaques, cassowaries, deer, turtles, snakes, crocodiles, slow lorises, eagles, cockatoos, parrots and many more.
Volunteer work with different in Indonesia; the main goals of this project are to rescue animals and has a rehabilitation program for releasing animals to the wild, offer sanctuary and protection of many animal species. The project covers an area of 14 hectares and professional facilities have been constructed on site: a large animal clinic, office and supporting animal facilities. The center is proud to be currently one of the largest wildlife rescue centers worldwide and strives to obtain international standards, both in professionalism as well as animal welfare.
The project staff consists of 22 persons. You will work together with the staff and other volunteers present. Not everybody of the local staff speaks English, please be patient (and perhaps bring along a dictionary).There are English and Dutch speaking managers/coordinators around.
This animal project is located 32 km (2 hours drive) southern of Sukabumi in a beautiful hilly area where you will experience a great environment. During your days off you can make fantastic walks in the surrounding through rice fields and tea plantages and factory or visit places like Sukabumi, a batcave or go a day to the beach (3/4 hours drive), etc.
Detailed travel information will be given after your booking.
The work for the animals varies and your main tasks may include:
- Food preparation for the animals;
- Feeding the animals;
- Cleaning the enclosures;
- Preparing enrichment;
- Animal behavioral observations;
- Teamwork (where all the staff and the participants of the program will work on building projects in the park);
- Besides the regular activities sometimes activities come along like: assist with confiscations, monitor medical procedures and assist at the clinic.
You will work 6 days a week (about 7/8 hours a day) and you have 1 day off each week.
Volunteers will accommodated in one of the nice wooden dormitories with bunk beds (1 for men and 1 for women). (If you are a couple it’s possible to arrange a place for you together in one of the dormitories but this depends on how many volunteers participate at the same time). Outside the dormitories there are 6 basic but clean bathrooms (Indonesians style). Also present is a little kitchen and big wooden cantina with a beautiful view over the rice fields where volunteers can enjoy their meals or ‘hang out’ in their free time.
As a volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum leeftijd van 18 jaar.
- In het Engels kunnen communiceren.
- Een passie hebben voor dieren
- Van de natuur houden
- Vereiste vaccinaties voor dit project zijn o.a. DTP, hepatitis A en B, tyfus en rabiës. (Voor de volledige medische vereisten zie de uitgebreide informatie)
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 320,-|
|Per extra week||€ 185,-|
|Per week after 8 weeks||€ 150,-|
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 280,-|
|Per extra week||€ 145,-|
|Per week after 8 weeks||€ 115,-|
- Information and assistence before deparure
- Free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance), if desired
- 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner)
- Drinking water, coffee and tea
- Training and supervision
- Laundry service
- Transport to town for internet and shopping once a week (if there is capacity in the car)
- Donation to the project
- Administration costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2019.
Everything you need to know before you book this project:
Extensive information Project Orang-utans and wildlife in Indonesia (PDF)