In the world there are 7 species of sea turtles, of which 6 are in Indonesia: Green turtle (Chelonia mydas), Hawksbill turtle (Eretmachelys imbricate), Olive Ridley (Lepidachelys alivacea), Leatherback se turtle (Dermachelys coriacea), flatback sea turtle (Natator depressus) and the Loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta).
Volunteer work with sea turtles in Indonesia; The aim of the project is to save and protect sea turtles and their environment by protecting turtle nests, research and education. Cleaning the beaches is also part of the program. For example, plastic is also recycled.
The project staff is very enthusiastic and enjoys working together with national and international volunteers. The languages spoken here are English and Bahasa Indonesia.
The project is located on the largest island of the Solorachipel in the Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia. The island has a very rich flora and fauna, both on land and in the sea. In addition to sea turtles, you can also spot dolphins, dugongs and manta rays.
In your free time it is for example possible to snorkel, dive, make beautiful boat trips and enjoy the beautiful nature. Fishing, reading a book at your leisure, relaxing on the beach, etc.
You travel on your own to the project in Indonesia. Detailed travel information will be provided after your booking.
Volunteering with turtles after an introduction can consist of:
- Regularly checking the nests at the “hatchery” for hatching eggs;
- Evening patrols: among other things, collecting data on the beach such as tracks and the like, size nests, new sea turtle nests and possibly moving nests to a safer environment;
- If a school group is scheduled, assist with education and activities;
- General duties: Varying from preparation and cleaning of beaches, etc.
You work 6 days a week and you have 1 day off. The mornings are also often free to spend (for example snorkeling or swimming).
Volunteers will stay in a bungalow with a local host family. You get your own bedroom here or share it with another volunteer. There is a basic bathroom and kitchen and these are shared by everyone in the bungalow.
As a volunteer you must meet the following points:
- Minimum age of 18 years;
- Being able to communicate in English (or Baha Indonesian);
- Have a good physical condition;
- Required vaccinations are DTP and hepatitis A (For the most up-to-date information we advise you to contact the GGD, for example).
Volunteers are welcome throughout the year. You determine your own arrival date and minimum stay of 1 week. (Shorter stay in consultation).
|Period||Price per person|
|1 week||€ 440,00|
|2 weeks||€ 640,00|
|every extra week||€ 260,00|
- Information and assistence before departure
- Free estimate of flight options / travel possibilities (the most convenient flights options at a glance), if desired
- Airport pick-up
- On arrival first night in nearby hotel
- Transfer to project location (approx. 1.5 hours)
- Accommodation with a host family
- 3 meals a day and drinking water
- Training and guidance
- Volunteer T-shirt (on site)
- A donation to the project
- Administrative costs
- And, of course a very memorable experience
Prices are valid for the said periods in the year 2019 and 2020.